Saturday, August 10, 2013

California, here I come!

 JT and I headed out to Mission Viejo, California for the US masters national championships.  I will not discuss how I swam (apparently, I can't swim backstroke outside), but I can tell you that I had a wonderful, awe-inspiring trip.  There were 1400 of the best masters swimmers from all over the country.  There were world record holders (yes, I saw a 95 year old woman set a world record in her age group--amazing!).  I was really shocked at how fast 60 year old men and women can swim.  It really inspired me to keep with competing for a life-time!  So on Thursday, I swam the 100 back and 200 free.  Friday, the 200 back and on Sunday, the 50 back and 400 free. 
 
 That means I had Saturday off.  JT planned quite a day for us!   First, a helicopter ride over to Catalina Island.  It was our first time in a helicopter and I was a little nervous at first, but it was great!
 
 Beautiful view of the Island coming in.
 We had to walk about a mile from our landing spot to where the fishing boat captain was going to pick us up.  It was a beautiful walk!

 Then we went off on a four hour fishing adventure!
 I caught the first fish of the day!
JT caught the rest...



 After fishing, we walked around the Island and had some lunch.
After one more day of better swimming on Sunday, we again got stranded in the Denver airport for a long time.  We did not get home until 3 in the morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment